Friday 29 August 2014

Need I Fear?

There was a golden sliver of a moon in the sky tonight, graceful and shining against the black sky.

I wonder, does God orchestrate the circumstances of our lives, down to the littlest details and moments and words, with as much perfection as He keeps the sun, moon, and stars in their courses? Did He arrange my today, order my tomorrow with as faultless a precision as He crafted the tiniest details of the minutest atoms of matter? It's incredible. The way God has designed nature (science has definitely taught me one thing), how absolutely flawless the orders of the universe are- how one animal provides for the next animal who provides for the next, how every cell in those animals' bodies works together perfectly with the others to accomplish the miracle of life even on the simplest and rudest scale.

But then, life seems such a messy business. Words are thrown around- spoken too harshly, too loudly, or mumbled and forgotten in the torrent of noise. Feelings are hazy shadows that never fail to come to every one of us, and never fail to go and change, as if by the slightest breath of wind. We go here- we do this- we say that- we live our days, we live our lives. Almost mindlessly sometimes it seems.
Where is the order in it all? Where is the orchestration? I don't see it. I can't seem to brush aside this mortal viewpoint, this mortal sight that sees only chaos and meaninglessness.

But when I ponder the stars, when I see that sliver of a golden moon in the sky tonight, I can't help but think of the perfection of His ways, the wisdom He uses to hold the universe in it's order- the absolute flawlessness and faithfulness of His creation. And I can't help but feel that those same hands that send the birds south and the salmon upstream, will send me whithersoever is best, and send into my life whosoever is just right, and use me, send me, perfectly, faultlessly, where He will.

And so- how can the future be a scary thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment